Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Behind the Scenes Look at WEG by Rutie Harbison


Hi There! This is the first entry of my WEG blog. If you are looking for a blog with lots of details of the actual competition and results this will not be it. My blog will be more of a behind the scenes look at the barns, vendor village and random happenings that I find interesting enough to write about. From my first drive through the park yesterday there appears to be plenty happening so I better get started.

First of all for those who do not know me here is a little background. I am a PRO member (obviously), an upper level rider and trainer based in Florida. I have come to WEG to work for Bit of Britain for the month. I will assume everyone in the US will know what Bit of Britain is but for those unfortunate few that have not spent lots of money there check it out at Bitofbritain.com. Bit of Britain has 2 set ups at WEG, a huge store set up right outside the main stadium and a smaller store located in the barn area to supply the competitors. I will mostly be in the one in the barn area but may help out a bit in the main one as well. As of yesterday the tent for the barn store had still not arrived and the carpet for the vendor village store had not arrived either so we are in a holding pattern waiting to unload a whole lot of equipment. Hopefully that will start today.

My first impressions driving through the horse park on Thursday was that there is a whole lots still to be done. There are work crews and building equipment EVERYWHERE. I mean working on every road, hanging off every building and blocking every intersection. However, I have to say that going back through yesterday I could not believe how much had been accomplished in 24hrs so they appear to be pretty well organized over there and things are moving fast. For those of you who have been to the horse park to compete it will look quite different. The whole parking area by the barns is filled with temporary stabling and various tents for the competitors and grooms. There are new arenas where the xc used to run though to the head of the lake and there are new buildings everywhere. I am going to try and snap some photos today so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

Well I am signing off for today until more interesting things start to happen. If anyone has any questions for me feel free to post them on the PRO facebook page. I will get them and will answer them as fast as I can. Don't be shy, you can ask me pretty much anything (okay, there may have to be some boundaries!).

Cheers from Lexington,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment